Friday, January 29, 2010

The Trembling Earth Beneath Me - Day 1 at Yarinacocha Hospital












Spent the day with Fernando yesterday enjoying conversation, gourmet Peruvian food, and the Parque Natural of Pucallpa. It was a perfect day and just by spending the day with me, Fernando gave me the gift of feeling more at home here. Thank you Ferndando!

Today was my first day in the hospital. Threw on my cute new Obstetra outfit as I attempted to shake away the natural nerves of first days anywhere in the world. I was very kindly received by all and feel completely welcome.

Rain poured down as we received our first patient and little did I know how metaphorical the earth’s tears were. She was 12-13 weeks pregnant and began bleeding heavily this morning. We had to do a vacuum aspiration as the babe had died. Rain, rain, and more rain. Mom was anesthetized to physical pain, though it didn’t kick in so well for her, and I can’t begin to imagine the rest.

Our second patient came in at 4 cm dilated with her 3rd baby. I tried listening to babe’s heartbeat with that cone instrument (fetoscope :) for the first time and had no luck. They all laughed at me kindly and said it takes time. This mama was started on a Pitocin drip and with manual dilatation by a Midwife intern for the following 15 minutes delivered a healthy baby boy. They had me catch this baby and were confused (and a little panicked) when I somersaulted the baby out of its tighter nuchal cord instead of reducing it or cutting it at the perineum. They were REALLY confused when I tried to give the mom the baby right away instead of hanging it upside down by it's feet and clamping and cutting the cord immediately. Pitocin is standard practice to create faster labors. EVERY mama gets it (unless they are preterm). Very little fetal monitoring is done, even with the fetoscope and pit drip.  Family members aren’t allowed into the delivery rooms and women lay on their backs on an exam table in stirrups. For first time mamas episiotimies are also standard practice. Handwashing is not done nor are there resources to wash hands if one so desired. There is no waste in this hospital. Everything used is re-usable and nothing is wasted. Babies are hung upside down (as I described above) just after they are born until the cord is clamped and cut and then passed directly to nurses. After being dried and warmed they go back to mom and stay in bed with moms until they are discharged 24 to 48 hours later. Breastfeeding is the only way here and I haven’t even laid eyes on a bottle of any kind.  Good news for breast feeding!

Windows are numerous and ALWAYS open. The fresh air is SO nice. I LOVE that.

Gathered up all my things after work and loaded up a Motokar. Off to my new house. See the pictures of my incredible view of the jungle and lake Yarinacocha. The windows are in fact only screens and the frogs and dogs are singing loudly to me as I type.

As life in this new world whirls around me, the earth feels unsteady… and it literally is! We had a mini earthquake as I explored the streets near my new abode this evening. I was in a small street side shop asking about the neighborhood when the earth seriously rocked gently under my feet. “Tembloroso” everyone said as we exited the tienda to be sure not to be buried underneath it.

As I expected, here just as it is in the US and around the world, women are suffering in birth. We create the world in our wombs and then summon the strength to share it and yet we suffer so tremendously. Others telling us how we should do it, where to put our hands, our feet, our backs, our legs, stay still, just breath, relax, so many impertinent rules for our bodies, families and babes. When will we summon the forces to embrace our incredible strength, beauty and natural connection to the heart of life in order to follow our instincts in creation? And how can I be a part of helping this happen?

ON another note... I think I might have fleas in my new bed…

No comments:

Post a Comment