Friday, January 29, 2010

Angels of the Night - Day 2 at Yarinacocha Hospital

Here they say that the frogs that sing are angels of the night. I’m not sure why yet. I can guess and make lots of stuff up (which is basically what I do full time now). Though my Spanish is improving, I still only catch words in sentences and then I create stories around the words. It’s pretty fun! Pema says that life is like dreaming anyway and in order to stay unattached we must perceive this life like a cloud passing, or leaves falling, or foreign chic that doesn’t speak the language so well making up stories! I told my new Peruvian girlfriends about all the stories I make up daily and they laughed and laughed. I informed them that I probably understood 10-20% of what they tell me, but that each day the percentage is growing. It’s so nice to feel like this is all ok. Like I don’t have to know every detail. What a lesson in letting go. Of course I ask lots of what’s and where’s and how’s and huh’s but usually it’s just a lot of work to really get to the bottom of it all. Better to let it all soak in, in time. “Poco a poco” they say here.

Today we received 5 babies between 5 of us. We each got one and all supported one another. In Peru, the Midwives are about half and half men and women (or so it seems thus far). They deliver twins, preterm babes, normal pregnancies, complicated pregnancies, breech babes, etc. They deliver as though they have been doing this their whole lives, have each caught at least 200 babes already and are expected to attend at least 250 births before graduating. They study for 5 years intensely before having one year of a very intense internship.  They are pros at catching babes in the hospital style to which they are accustomed and have swift and remarkable hand techniques.

Because they are so accustomed to one way of birth, I share the way we do things in the US with them, how we are attempting to transform birth in many ways, empowering with education, water births, various positions, etc and they are very receptive to the ideas, but…I’m not sure but what yet. More understanding to come. Nothing is ever really as it seems in life I am finally accepting.

One of our babies today was 27 weeks with gastrochisis born with its stomach and intestines hanging outside of his tiny little body. He is still living and doing well thus far. He was born to a baby mom of 14 years old. She pushed him out with such confusion and fear.  He has been transferred to Lima for surgery.  I send him love.

I sprayed the whole room with cord blood today and we all laughed and laughed. I am so used to waiting to cut the cord!  Now I am learning to wash the blood out of my clothes by hand with the rusty water in my bathroom... A new friend showed me how they filter the water with a plastic bottle that has cotton stuck in the top of it. Hang it upside down with your shower head inserted, and Vua La!

I have decided that Peruvians are the nicest, most genuine and welcoming people on this planet. This hospital and everyone that works here have simply accepted me into their space as a fellow human being (and midwife) wanting to learn how they do things here and share how I have learned to do things in the US. They feed me and house me and train me for free, without question. They smile at me, call me beautiful all the time, grace me with patience, never seem to judge my mistakes as far as I can tell (I especially mess up the paperwork!). When they are laughing, I never feel like they are laughing maliciously. The interns aren’t upset that I am yet another person wanting to attend births (births that would be theirs if it weren’t for me). Walking this small hospital campus each day fills my spirit with a sense of love. Peruvians seem to love, simply. They take care of their homeless dogs, their neighbors, their friends, families, and me. And I feel so grateful for it.

No fleas in my bed!

More to come!

Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment