Tuesday, January 19, 2010

One day down sin diarrhea!!!!!!




That's right!  YAY!  


Hello all!  


You've inspired me to start this blog action.  Thanks!
Oliver and Dan sent me off in the airport at the security gate yesterday morning as I balled and balled after saying goodbye to my little man.  Little man...I love him... (he's my doggy
guy).  I arrived in Lima late last night.  A wonderful couple from INMED held the sign inscribed "Elizabeth Tucker" in a sea of similar signs at the airport and I was overjoyed
to find my very own.  Big smiles and laughter introduced me to Ursula and her husband Carlos.  They are LOVELY and have taken great care of me.


Now, my first full day of this exciting and emotional Peruvian adventure is coming to an end.  I can't believe it. Started with a meeting with Doctor Fernando Perez about the projects I will work on in the Ucayali region of the Amazon and an introduction to the next few months of life. Though i am enjoying Lima for it's easy access to internet, food, etc, I am ready to bust OUT.  I leave for Pucallpa tomorrow night with Fernando and after brief introductions in that smaller city, we will travel about an hour to the "selva" jungle and stop in Monte de los Olivos.  This is a newer community in and around which I will be working primarily.  


A few days later we will travel back to Pucallpa.  I will live with a family for a month there and deliver babes in the local hospital in a suburb called Yarinacocha.  The following 5 months will be spent working with small communities around Monte de Los Olivos.  As I practice, deliver, see mamas, babes, adults, and children in the clinic, etc I will focus on attempting to discover why women aren't utilizing the local waiting (birth) house to deliver their babes.  They seem to prefer the home.  My job is to make the birth house at Monte de Los Olivos a place where women want to come.  Sounds kinda big (and super exciting!) so send me any ideas! :)  

On a different note, today I enjoyed my first glass of chicha morada (a sweet juice made from purple corn! yum), a canelone which was seriously an italian burrito stuffed with spinach and cheese and smothered in red cream sauce (it was pretty good considering), and got kissed by a llama at the famous Lima Incan ruins.  What fun!  I also found some of my favorite cookies in the whole world, pet a sacred peruvian hairless dog (they are found in Mexico also and are believed to heal bone and joint ailments. sweet!),  and took my first ciesta.  Ahhhhhhhhh.


My spanish is already rapidly improving, though Ursula and I laugh hysterically when I get super tired and say things like "when I pay for something, I buy it."  I guess that's better then when I started in the clinic at Denver health and said to my first patient "I would like to take your breast now" instead of "I would like to take your weight now."  WOOOOoooops.  


Thank you all for each and every blessing and farewell in the last 2 weeks and an AMAZING goodbye party!   I am still swooning from the fun.  Also thank you for all the well wishes and thoughts that I have received electronically, emotionally, spiritually, financially, and physically. I can feel them all!!!!  :)


I miss you all tremendously and will share when I can.  Sending my love.


Beth

11 comments:

  1. Glad you made it, sister!
    It's hilarious that you have already fallen in love with a pastry. When we went to Sevilla, the cafe under Linc didn't have Napolitana con Crema anymore. I was crushed.
    It sounds like your job is going to be really interesting. Can't wait to hear you stories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth,
    It's pretty wonderful that you've chosen this path, giving so much of youself -- as you always do. It's great to hear when people choose a path or career because it is a calling, a way to contribute, rather than merely a means to increase one's income. You brought something special to both L&D and MomBaby, a warmth and integrity, even love. You're a special person.
    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so amazing. I can't believe how organized you are. It's only been a couple days and already you've set up a blog complete with pictures! I am excited to hear more about your project-discovering why the birth center is not utilized. I'm nervous about the idea of starting a new job in general and hear you are starting out in a different country, in a different language, primarily on your own in a remote area. Someday when I grow up, I want to be like you!
    Alyssa

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would also like to be like you when I grow up. You and the llama are cute together.
    Mo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I couldn't imagine a better 'medical ambassador' than you, Beth. I love the rat-dog and the adorable alpaca. As for the delicious pastry display, I recommend setting up your clinic there; that will get the women in. Best wishes for safe and 'transformative' travels.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy crap you are hilarious once again. And a brilliant writer...and just a marvelous woman in general. I have to admit that I am a bit jealous you were kissed by a llama. They are sweet no? And I won't tell Oliver about the hairless dog.. he might get jealous. I hope you continue to get warm welcomes and know that you are already missed here! XOXOXOXOXOXOXOX

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awakeness is found in our pleasure and our pain, our confusion and our wisdom, available in each moment of our wierd, unfathomable, everyday lives.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pema is reading my blog!!!! :) Thanks Pema, I need this wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, Beth. Listen to all the wise words of these wonderful friends of yours! Pema: Nice comment. Beth, you were born as one of the most amazing women of all time...
    love love love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Keep the hilarious commentaries coming....
    As for your immaculate conception (or not) and the rapido pregnancy, I commend you on setting a good example by delivering first and THEN drinking!!!!! As for the smooth operator-Joseph, I think we have some insights as to why he is still single!! Continued wish for SAFE (it's a jungle out there) and JOYFUL travels.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you all for your comments!!!! I seriously LIVE for them and they give me more strength. I feel like the luckiest lady ever for the friends and family I have in all of you!!!!

    B

    ReplyDelete