Sunday, March 7, 2010

2/21/10 Agua in Aguaytia

Just returned from my trip with Janneth and Adrianne (her 9-year-old son) and we had a BLAST.  Arose from the stiff as a board bed with an equally stiff as a board body this morning.  We slowly got ourselves put together for the day, bathing suits to play in the river and a pair of dry clothes.  I lathered up in sunscreen and off we went.  Started our day in a breakfast café where a little cockroach popped out of the sugar bowl as Adrianne spooned crystals into what they call coffee here (looked like tea to me).  Mmmmmmm.  And I wonder what is causing my stomach cramps…  Nonetheless, great breakfast cake that I was happy to feed my parasite friends hatching in my belly J.  See the photo of our cockroach breakfast.

See pictures of our car trip to Aguaytia too - me and a LONG line of cars along the ONLY road to Lima, the capital of Peru.  Work is always in progress on this road and many parts are dirt and more than bumpy.  Beautiful jungle!  Adrianne and Janneth in the car. In Peru, it’s SO not cool to smile for a picture.  Keep that in mind.  The wind was blowing in my shirt on the way there and my boobs were getting BIGGER every moment.  How can I not share that with you all.  See the photo!  Next, the little town of Aguaytia.  Our arrival!  Evening phoosball championship. 

Caught a cab to the falls and BOOOOOOM, down came the rain.  The cab plopped us off in a tunnel just before the falls and promised us 2 things… 

  1. The rain would pass quickly.
  2. He would return in 30 minutes to scoop our soaked bodies up and take us back to the hotel.

As you all have guessed, neither of those things came to pass but we didn’t know that yet so we geared up for a soaking in our complete and utter ignorance, laughing and splashing and having a great time.  The falls were beautiful and the rain brought out all my favorite colors again, greens and browns and blues rich.  Headed back to the refuge of the dark tunnel, changed into our dry clothes, goose bumps a-plenty, and waited eagerly for our guaranteed ride back to town.  And we waited…

And waited…

And “Here he is!!!!!!  That’s our car I’m sure!!!!  YAY YAY YAY!!!!!!”  Picked up our bags as the car slowed, honked, passengers stared at us as we realized that this was not our car nor was there space for us inside.  Honk.

And so we waited…

And waited…

More cars came, honking trucks, honking busses.  They all passed slowly, stopping, looking, galking, honking…

One truck with passengers even stopped, honked, rolled down the window, snapped a photo of us, and then went on it’s way…  WHAT!!!!!!!

And so we waited some more…

We waited 2 hours.  And we aren’t dumb.  We started fishing for a ride after a half hour or so, but all vehicles were full or only wanted to gaze at our drenched and nearly naked bodies and/or snap a photo.   See my fun photos!  I think the yellow triangle sign in the waterfall photo says “Beth, CAREFUL!!  You might die here today with your friends.” J

Finally, a BEAUTIFUL and lovely family in a motocar stopped to check on us genuinely concerned for our safety.  At this point we had just started to walk through the very dark tunnel to the nearest town and were ecstatic, though worn out.  The motocar was full in my mind, but one can apparently never underestimate the capacity of a motocar.  Though motocars are seemingly made for 3 passengers and some fresh bananas in back, they are most often filled with 6-9 passengers, a banana TREE in the back and more cargo attached by rope to the sides J.  Adrianne hopped in the cabby and Anita and I hopped on the back and stood on the trunk for the next few kilometers.  WHO KNEW!!!!  See photos again! 

Arrived home safely only to discover that I was to be assistant to minor surgery on my favorite little hombrecito Valentino who had Isangos all over his genitals and nether region.  Poor guy.  Now, I have been warned about Isangos and I have heard the Isango horror stories.  I have been informed that I too will experience the horror of Isangos soon.  Nonetheless, this was my first true reality of the Isango saga.  THEY SUCK!!!!!!!!  I can’t figure out what they are in English.  TRIVIA TIME people.  Tiniest little red devils I’ve ever seen that burrow into your skin and cause a welt.  They love genitals and underarms, including nipples!  Great.  And I am sure to have them.  The cure is to pick them out of your skin or splash alcohol and then pick them out of your skin.  They are about 0.5mm.  (Today is 3/3/10 and I just figured out that these red devils are a type of mite (ácaro)).

Poor Valentino!!!

Must be off.  Ascela’s husband died exactly one month ago and there is a mass for him tonight at the main Cathedral in Pucallpa.  I am honored that the family has invited me.  Jeans here have a different meaning than jeans in the US and you can wear them to work, to school, to bed, to a famous person´s house, to your sister´s wedding, to the farm, and to the mass of your friend’s deceased husband.  So, that’s what I am wearing, jeans.  Hotty jeans that I bought in Aguaytia because hotty is just what you wear here and my US jeans don’t fit me anymore.  SPA PERU.

Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment