Saturday, March 6, 2010

2/17/10 - MotoButt






Beth’s Motorcycle Diaries Part 1

I have officially fallen in love with zipping around Pucallpa and Yarinacocha on the back of a motorcycle.  That sentence completes my motorcycle diaries, but I thought I would share nonetheless as the ride has become my refuge, relaxation, sunset soaking time, and full body massage.

Beth’s Motorcycle Diaries Part 2

Yesterday Jose Antonio and I went to Monte de Los Olivos via motorcycle.  The first part of the trip was AMAZING.  Clouds made the jungle colors pop out in deep greens and browns.  Then I realized that my butt sure did hurt after the hour on the highway and half hour of four wheeling on a two-wheeler.  Still, I LOVE the moto life I lead here.

Anita had a USAID (NonGovernmentalOrganization, NGO) assessment on Wed so Jose and I went to document the occasion and support her amazing and successful efforts to improve the communities in the jungle.  We left the house at 5am and arrived to Monte early.  Helped Anita prepare and soon it was time for USAID to arrive.  The whole community was waiting and had also been preparing.  Apparently USAID comes once a year to interview large groups of community members (including kids).  After the interviews, they go to individuals houses to do community health assessments – asking where the family keeps their trash, do they have a toilet area, how do they clean their water and cook their food, etc.  It was a busy day full of activities and I was happy to get to know some of the USAID projects and people behind them.  USAID has a HUGE presence all over Peru and like INMED-ANDES are doing amazing things. 

See photos of Anita presenting, interview of mom’s at the casa de espera (the pink room), photo of a well-kept large garden outside a Olivos family’s home, a large but typical kitchen, and Anita and Jose resting in our little house in the jungle after a long day.

Moto Diaries Part 3

Jose and I hopped back on the bike.  My butt hurt even worse on the way home and is in a physical therapy program now called Beth's MotoButt. 1-2-3 MotoButt!

No comments:

Post a Comment