Sunday, April 4, 2010

3.22.10 – Week 3

Arrived at the health post this morning after our routine bus ride with my favorite mouth honker, Cesar, and 2 women were waiting for our arrival.  They live in San Martin at CNC Km 4 near Juana and brought news that she is having light contractions today.  I packed my bag immediately to visit her in hopes to convince her to come to the casa de espera with me.  Anita stayed behind to run the health post.  Upon my arrival I found Juana resting in her home (which I have described previously, see pics on flicker) with 2 of her daughters at her side.  She was comfortable and happy.  We chatted and conducted an OB appointment in her bedroom.  She is not contracting yet nor does she have any warning signs, either of impending labor or danger in pregnancy.  Her baby has dropped significantly since her last appointment a week ago.  We discussed the casa de espera again at length and she says she will come this afternoon.  Her husband, Juan J, is in Pucallpa and she wants him to accompany her with their 4 children when he returns this afternoon.

On another note, Cherlita, a 16 year-old gestante, 39 weeks pregnant came to visit us after we gave her a tour of the casa de espera last week.  She lives at Km 86 of the main highway from Pucallpa and is excited to come live in our community with her boyfriend, Riker this week as her due date approaches. 

Luz is back, thank God.  She killed one of the gallinas (chickens that roam free) that a patient gave us last week and we ate the most delicious and famous caldo de gallina, a chicken broth with noodles and potatoes.  Though caldo de gallina is a traditional meal for all in Peru and in the jungle (most often for breakfast), women always enjoy a freshly prepared bowl after giving birth.  For example, Anita tells me that when Juana comes to live in the casa de espera she will carry her chicken with her and her husband will prepare caldo de gallina for her and the family after she delivers.  Everyone travels with their chickens here.  Perhaps I find it amusing because I grew up in the city, but when Luz packs her chickens into a little sack and we set off for Pucallpa each Saturday afternoon, I chuckle chuckle chuckle.  Those little chicken heads pop out of their bags on the bus. 

In addition to eating caldo de gallina after giving birth, many other traditions exist.  Juana has informed me that it is customary for the husband to cook, clean, wash clothes, care for the other children, etc for one full month after a new baby comes.  Excellent idea!  Let’s make it longer J!  Also, women wear a white cloth baby diaper around their head for 15 days after delivering.  The cloth diapers are much thinner and more like a blanket wrap here than in the US.  Juana says the wrap functions to prevent dizziness, headache, cold, and chills.  See photos of the women in their head wraps.  I like them.  It’s kind of kung fu, like she has won a battle and indeed she has, through her strength and courage she has brought new life into this world.     

1 comment:

  1. Do you name the chickens? My friend Steve has like 7 chickens and he names them all. The biggest one is called Gloria Featherfoot. Beth I love you and I hope all is well in your Swiss Family Robinson home. It is finally nice enough around here to ride bikes and I keep thinking I see you, but alas, it is just some cute lady on a bike, not my seeeeester.

    -Mo

    ReplyDelete